The MOST difficult challenges become the greatest lessons to learn from...

     As I look at today's date, I just realized that it was on this day, 10 years ago, that I graduated from my Alma Mater, Prairie View A&M University! To say that I have learned so much about myself would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!  I will list the biggest or poignant lessons I have learned within the past ten years post Undergrad.

The biggest lesson of all: you can't compare your life to others in your circle, class, work life, etc. 

     Although I am still learning this daily, I have come to realize that my journey in life is not going to mirror someone else's life or journey.  Too many nights, I have racked my brain trying to figure out: "How did this person get this job over me?" or "I'm more qualified than they are; how are they getting so many interviews?" or the big one: "Now, I KNOW I am smarter than they are, so how are they understanding these concepts or aspects of the job/assignment better than I am?"  I would stress and worry about stuff that ended up not working out for the other people in the long run, so it was all of that worry for nothing!  With this lesson, I put so much on myself to try and be "perfect," or create whatever my concept of "normal" was, and in the end, it wasn't the best choice to make.  God had to show me that my way of thinking was wrong.  Because of this, I choose self-reflection when those thoughts or moments arise, which has been working well for me!  I continue learning this lesson, and I welcome the ability to steer away from the negativity!

Another lesson:  you can not expect people to help you 100% of the time if you haven't done the work or put in the effort.

     Through all the trials and problems these past 10 years have had, I can honestly say that I've been shown grace and mercy by God, through other people.  I, however, had to put forth the effort needed to receive the help because if I didn't do so, I can't say I would be here to write this blog post.  Between my church, family and those with whom I have met since moving away from home, my journey, although a rocky one, has been one large test!  The aforementioned people gave me what I needed and would give me multiple chances to make better decisions, even after helping me out the first time. There have been circumstances where I didn't have enough money to get the bare necessities or had all the funds needed to get a car or even had what I needed to pay my cell phone bill, but the fact that I was a student or working PT showed that I was at least trying to better myself. At one point in time, I had to pull income from three PT jobs just to make ends meet, and I still didn't have enough to cover all expenses, so I had to either succumb to the lack of funds or ask for help.  Because I was doing the best I could under ever-changing issues, I was given support for my efforts.  I can't thank everyone enough who made the decision to help me during many tough times.


Final lesson: MENTAL HEALTH IS IMPORTANT, SO DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED!

     Some of you reading this may not know this, but I was in a dark place of what some would call depression some 8 years ago. Although I was not clinically or officially diagnosed with depression, I showed depressive-like symptoms, which caused me to take medication. I wouldn't even get out of bed for 12 hours at a time! I honestly didn't think much of it until I had a talk with the school therapist at the time about what I was feeling.  THAT was certainly a turning point for me, since I hadn't experienced these symptoms before that time.  Could I attribute it to being in a new place and being away from home for the first time? Sure, but I had to do more than just talk about it; I had to take action to correct what was going on with me.   I thank GOD for getting me through that because my current MBA journey would not have happened if I didn't recover from that moment in time back then.  I don't even think I would be where I am mentally if I hadn't gone through that part of my life.  Given the fact that I am close to finishing my second degree, it would have been much tougher to complete my MBA, let alone attempt to do much else without my desire to remain positive and stay focused on the end goal.  Tricking my brain to see things in a positive light has definitely helped me to not stay in a stuck place of feeling down, sad, complacent, etc.  I've had to learn that it takes a strong person to persevere through a rough patch such as mental health issues, even more so if you are having to push through them alone or without loved ones close by.  All in all, I continue to seek advise and counsel not only from God, but from other professionals within the community in order to maintain the best balanced mind possible.  I encourage ANY AND EVERYONE: get help if you need help! Even if you don't think you need help, it doesn't hurt to talk to someone every once in a while, that way you can get out of your own head!  I am still learning this lesson, but I have certainly made it a point to speak with counsel more often since 2010. 

     I hope this has given you a different perspective on life's ever-changing issues or provided you with a bit more insight on who I am.  Thanks for reading and please comment below if you feel moved to do so! 


~msvwade~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short and Sweet 4.23.12

March 28th, 2012: Is It Wrong?

Being Unemployed: Good or Bad Thing?